Baltimore Equitable Society (NRIS 77001528)
21 N. Eutaw St.,
Baltimore (Independent City),
Maryland. County/parish: Baltimore.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
October 06, 1977.
Also known as:
- Baltimore Equitable Society
- Baltimore Equitable Insurance, until 2003 was located at the original headquarters of the Eutaw Savings Bank, is a historic bank building located at Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Originally built as the headquarters for the Eutaw Savings Bank, it is a two-story building with brownstone front and brick sides. It was constructed in 1857 in the Italian Renaissance style. The Eutaw Savings Bank moved across the street in 1887 to what is now the Baltimore Grand, and the building was acquired by the Baltimore Equitable Society in 1889. Founded in 1794, the Baltimore Equitable Society is one of the oldest corporations in the city and the third-oldest fire insurance company in the United States.The building that housed Baltimore Equitable Insurance was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The building is occupied by a restaurant.
Unfortunately due to the age and degree of repairs/renovations that were needed at the Eutaw Savings Bank building, Baltimore Equitable made the hard decision to relocate their offices. In 2003, during Hurricane Isabelle, Baltimore Equitable Insurance moved their offices to a more modern building located at 100 N Charles St, Suite 640, Baltimore, MD 21201. The building is named One Charles Center and was a part of the urban renewal movement of Baltimore in the early 60's (read more...)
Gardener and Matthews
Kemp, Joseph F. K.
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001528