Fort Schellbourne (Boundary Increase) (NRIS 77001544)
N of Ely off US93,
NV. County/parish: White Pine.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
August 04, 1977.
Also known as:
- See Also*Fort Schellbourne
- Fort Schellbourne
- Fort Schelbourne, formerly known as Camp Schell and as Schell Creek Station, 43 miles (69 km) north of Ely, Nevada, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Its boundaries were increased in 1977.Creek is listed as a Pony Express station
The location was once a Shoshone Indian village. It became an Overland Stage and Mail stop in 1859, and a Pony Express station in 1860. The Overland Telegraph came through in 1861. It was briefly known as For Schellbourne in 1862 when troops camped here to counter Inidan harassment of the stages and mails.It declined after the Central Pacific Railroad was completed in 1869, to the north. Then it revived as a mining camp in 1871 after gold discoveries nearby.It later was a ranch headquarters and it has never been unoccupied. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001544