Lynch, Matthew, House (NRIS 78000001)
120 Robinson St.,
RI. County/parish: Providence.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 08, 1978.
- Matthew Lynch House
- The Matthew Lynch House is an historic house at 120 Robinson Street in Providence, Rhode Island. The house is a modest 1-1/2 story gambrel-roofed wood frame structure, resting on a brick foundation. It was probably built in the late 18th century as a farmhouse on the west bank of the Providence River in what was then agricultural area (and is now downtown Providence), around where Grace Church now stands, on Matthewson Street. It was moved about 1865 to the South Providence area known as "Dogtown", an area of Irish immigrants and slaughterhouses. The Lynch house was one of several older houses moved to Dogtown at this time. The Lynch family occupied the house from 1863 to 1937; the house changed hands several times and fell into dereliction. It was rehabilitated in the 1970s.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/78000001