Beardsley, Albert R., House (NRIS 78000030)
302 E. Beardsley Ave.,
Indiana. County/parish: Elkhart.
3 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
November 28, 1978.
Also known as:
- Ruthmere (A 1910 House Museum)
- Ruthmere Mansion
- Ruthmere, formerly the Albert and Elizabeth Beardsley Residence, is a three-story Beaux-Arts mansion that is the most prominent historic residence in Elkhart, Indiana, United States. Built in 1910, the Ruthmere Mansion is now open to the public as a museum, along with the neighboring Dr. Havilah Beardsley House.
Ruthmere is located along the St. Joseph River in Elkhart. The architect was Enock Hill Turnock, commissioned by Albert and Elizabeth Beardsley in 1908. The Beardsleys named the mansion in memory of their only child, Ruth, who died at seven months. ("Mere" reflects the Latin root maris and refers to the home's proximity to water.) The mansion was a place of business, family, political and social gatherings until the deaths of the Beardsleys in 1924. Robert Beardsley of The Beardsley Foundation purchased the mansion in 1967 with the main goal of restoring it to its original beauty in order to create a museum for the community. Restoration took place between 1969 and 1973 when the mansion was made available to the public. The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and the Beardsley Avenue Historic District was established several years later. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/78000030