Mt. Pisgah Lutheran Church (NRIS 78000048)
701 N. Pennsylvania St.,
IN. County/parish: Marion.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
November 28, 1978.
Also known as:
- Mt. Pisgah Lutheran Church
- Mount Pisgah Lutheran Church, also known in its early years as the First Lutheran Church and First English Lutheran Church and more recently as The Sanctuary on Penn, is located at 701 North Pennsylvania Street in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. The historic church was built by the city's first Lutheran congregation, which organized in 1837, and was its third house of worship. The former church, whose present-day name is The Sanctuary on Penn, is operated as a for-profit event venue.
The red-brick structure is notable because it combined two styles of architecture, Late Gothic Revival and Romanesque Revival, which were popular styles for religious buildings in the late nineteenth century. The L-shaped church was built in two sections. The original chapel, which dates from 1874–75, is Late Gothic Revival-style building. The Romanesque Revival-style main sanctuary was completed in 1887 on a limestone foundation laid in 1875. The sanctuary features round-arched windows, a rose window, and brick buttresses with limestone caps. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (read more...)
- Late Gothic Revival
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/78000048