South Milwaukee Passenger Station (NRIS 78000119)
WI. County/parish: Milwaukee.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
August 03, 1978.
Also known as:
- South Milwaukee Passenger Station
- The South Milwaukee Passenger Station is a historic railroad station located at 1111 Milwaukee Ave., South Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The station was built in 1893 for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway replacing a frame depot from 1885. Architect Charles Sumner Frost designed the Romanesque station. The depot, located on the east (southbound) platform, included ladies and gentlemen's waiting rooms, restrooms, a ticket office, freight office, train dispatcher's office, and two large rooms for baggage, express, and storage.
Following complaints from station agent Edwin Myers in 1947, the station was renovated. The arched porch area and several doorways were bricked in and many of the windows were boarded up with plywood.In 1971, the station closed when Amtrak replaced private passenger rail service in the United States and the line was cut back from Milwaukee to Kenosha.
The depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/78000119