Kuhl, Christina, House (NRIS 78000126)
1416 Main St.,
Wisconsin. County/parish: Portage.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 09, 1978.
Also known as:
- Christina Kuhl House
- The Christina Kuhl House, also known as the Kuhl-Gurath House, is located in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.In its NRHP nomination, it was described as "a massive French Second Empire house of frame construction with a
red brick veneer." Its mansard roof is covered with tin.Workmen on the house include D. R. Rogers, who papered the walls and ceilings of parlors, sitting rooms, halls and bedrooms, and did all painting; Aug. Lubitz, carpentry work; Henry Vetter, brick and stone work; and Mr. Chanley, plastering.
It is an example of Second Empire architecture.It appears to be fairly unusual for having two towers in what appears to be a single-family home application of the style.
See: Category:Second Empire architecture in Wisconsin. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/78000126