1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places June 27, 1979.
Kathryn Chicone Ustler Hall (formerly known as the Women's Gymnasium and University Gymnasium) is a historic building on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. It was designed by William Augustus Edwards in the Collegiate Gothic style and opened in 1919. As the University Gymnasium, it was the home to several of the university's indoor sports teams until the Florida Gymnasium opened in the late 1940s. The university became co-educational at about the same time, and the building was rechristened the Women's Gymnasium to be used primarily by the school's many new female students. On June 27, 1979, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The opening of O'Connell Center in 1980 and several new student recreation facilities over the following years made the old gym obsolete, and it gradually fell into disuse. The building was slated for demolition, but was saved for its historic value. A large donation made it possible to completely transform the interior, and the university's Women's Studies Department moved into newly renamed Ulster Hall in 2006.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/79000660