First Congregational Church (NRIS 79001249)
500 8th Ave., SE,
MN. County/parish: Hennepin.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 15, 1979.
- First Congregational Church (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- The First Congregational Church building was constructed of red sandstone in Gothic-Romanesque style, featuring round-arched windows and semi-circular rows of pews. When built, the building was in the residential neighborhood of Marcy-Holmes; it was surrounded by mansions of prominent citizens and merchants of the time, including Octavius Broughton, Woodbury Fisk, Thomas Andrews, Van Cleve, William McNair, and John Dudley. Over time, the neighborhood changed to a more transient population, dominated by students attending the University of Minnesota. Architect Warren H. Hayes (1847-1899) was Minneapolis' leading designer of churches in the 19th century, having designed the Calvary Baptist Church, Fowler Methodist Episcopal Church, and Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as the Central Presbyterian Church in Saint Paul. (read more...)