1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places July 23, 1979.
Sussex County Courthouse is located in Newton, the county seat Sussex County, New Jersey, U.S. It is part 10th vicinage of the New Jersey Superior Court.
It was originally built in 1765 and rebuilt in 1847. and added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1979. It is one of the courthouses dating from the 18th century and among the oldest courthouses in the United States still in active use.
The courthouse was the site of a daring raid during the American Revolution by one of the Loyalists' best operatives, Lieutenant James Moody. In 1780, Moody led several men to free eight Loyalist prisoners held in the Sussex County Courthouse. Moody freed the men and fled with them. Despite a pursuit lasting several days, Revolutionary forces failed to capture them. The court was gutted by fire in 1847 and rebuilt within the original fieldstone walls.
The old courthouse continues to handle judicial proceedings in conjunction with a newer Sussex County Judicial Center built in 1992.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/79001523