11 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places June 26, 1979.
Marion Carll Farm is a historic home and property located in Commack, Suffolk County, New York. It consists of the 1860 farmhouse, privy, garage, smoke house, milk house, horse barn/carriage house, sheep barn, and four smaller barns. Marion Carll left the home and property to the Commack UFSD.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
In 2010, the Commack School District attempted to sell the historic Farm to Holiday Corp/Hamlet. The district residents voted down a referendum to authorize the sale.
During an informational meeting the Peconic Land Trust and Suffolk County both expressed interest in acquiring the property and/or finding alternatives to building town homes on the 9 acres (3.6 ha) of land.
The voter turn-out was actually almost 1,100 people and 700 voted no. The district reportedly gave only two weeks prior notice.
The majority of the Farm in June 2019 was leased by Long Island University for a Veterinary School. The School district announced in a public forum at the June MCF BOE committee that the property is being leased by LIU, and that all lease proceeds would go to repair the long decaying farmhouse. The board also indicated the approximately front 2.5 acres would be used for an undetermined public venue honoring at least part of the intention and will of Ms. Carll.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/79001632