Seaside Plantation (NRIS 79002375)
10 mi. E of Beaufort on SC 21,
South Carolina. County/parish: Beaufort.
2 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
July 16, 1979.
Also known as:
- Seaside Plantation
- Seaside Plantation, also known as the Edgar Fripp Plantation, is a historic plantation house located on Saint Helena Island near Beaufort, Beaufort County, South Carolina. It was built about 1795 to 1810, and is a two-story, frame dwelling in a transitional Georgian / Federal style. It features one-story hip roofed portico. Seaside was one of the plantations participating in the Port Royal Experiment and had as its labor superintendent Charles Pickard Ware (1840–1921). Charlotte Forten Grimké (1837-1914) also resided at Seaside Plantation. Along with Tombee Plantation, Seaside is one of only a few remaining antebellum plantation houses on St. Helena. Also on the property are the contributing original, brick-lined well, a clapboard shed, a large barn with clapboard siding and tin roof, and a round concrete and oyster shell silo.It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/79002375