St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (NRIS 79003635)
1413 N. 20th St.,
St. Louis (Independent City),
Missouri. County/parish: St. Louis.
2 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
July 10, 1979.
- St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (St. Louis, Missouri)
- St. Stanislaus Kostka Church is an independent Catholic church building located in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Formerly a parish belonging to the Catholic Church, it was established in 1880 to serve the Polish community in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. It is considered to be the best example of the opulent Polish Cathedral style of architecture west of the Mississippi River.
The church is notable for a highly publicized dispute over control of the parish and its assets between the church's lay board of directors and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis. In December 2005, Archbishop Raymond Leo Burke declared the parish's board members and its priest, Marek Bozek, excommunicated and announced his intention to disband the parish with the likelihood that the premises would be sold. The parish responded by holding a Christmas Eve Mass attended by 1,500-2,000 people. The church and the Archdiocese settled their legal dispute in 2013.
The parish continues to be maintained and managed by its parishioners as a not-for-profit corporation, calling itself "Catholic", but unaffiliated with the Catholic Church.
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/79003635