Address: Main St., River Edge, New Jersey. County/parish: Bergen.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places January 10, 1983.
Demarest House is located in River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 10, 1983.
The Demarest House Museum is a two-room sandstone cottage that was built in 1794 for miller John Paulson at the time of his marriage to Altie Ely. The stove chimney in east room is a technological advance over fireplaces. The house was moved from original site beside French Burial Ground in New Milford in 1955-56 to River Edge, New Jersey, about one mile southwest. It is owned by the Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation, which restored the house in 2009.
The Demarest House Museum, the Campbell-Christie House and the Thomas-Westervelt Barn are on the Bergen County Historical Society's property at Historic New Bridge Landing. The Steuben House is a state-historic site on one acre at Historic New Bridge Landing.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/83001492