Veazie, William T. and Clara H., House (NRIS 83002312)
SW of Jerome,
ID. County/parish: Jerome.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 08, 1983.
Part of Lava Rock Structures in South Central Idaho TR
Also known as:
- William T. and Clara H. Veazie House
- The William T. and Clara H. Veazie House, near Jerome, Idaho, is a lava rock structure built in 1912. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.The house was built in 1912 by stonemason Thomas Vipham for farmer William T. and Clara H. Veazie. It is a lateral gable house which is one and one half stories tall, approximately 29 by 45 feet (8.8 m × 13.7 m) in plan.It was deemed "architecturally significant as an early example of the use of lava rock for bungalow style houses and for its stone craftsmanship." The nomination states that it "is one of the earliest houses of stone built in Jerome County with features such as the dormer, the inset porch, and massing that place it in the bungalow tradition. At the same time it retains traces of older traditions in its enclosed eaves, flat arches above the windows, and steep roof. It shows excellent craftsmanship." (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/83002312