Jerome Cooperative Creamery (NRIS 83002338)
313 S. Birch St.,
Idaho. County/parish: Jerome.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 08, 1983.
Part of Lava Rock Structures in South Central Idaho TR
Also known as:
- Jerome Cooperative Creamery
- The Jerome Cooperative Creamery is a cooperative creamery and also refers to historic lava rock structures used by the creamery on Birch Street in Jerome, Idaho, United States. The structures were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. They were built in 1915, 1924, and 1933 by master stonemason H.T. Pugh who popularized the use of lava rock in the Jerome area.The Jerome Cooperative Creamery paid $668,356.70 to local farmers for butterfat in 1926. The creamery produced 1.9 million pounds of butter that year. In 1939, the creamery paid $1,183,378 for butterfat. Roy D. Smith was the manager of the creamery for 38 years from the early 1920s until the late 1950s. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/83002338