Silva, Arthur D., Water Tank (NRIS 83002390)
NW of Shoshone,
Idaho. County/parish: Lincoln.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 08, 1983.
Part of Lava Rock Structures in South Central Idaho TR
Also known as:
- Arthur D. Silva Water Tank
- The Arthur D. Silva Water Tank near Shoshone, Idaho, United States, was built in 1910. It was a work of sheep rancher and stonemason Bill Darrah and of stonemasons Pete Duffy & Sons. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.It is a round water tank built of rubble walls about 20 feet (6.1 m) tall and 12 feet (3.7 m) in diameter. It is covered by a concrete-covered wooden top. It is located a few hundred yards above the Arthur D. Silva Ranch, which is itself about 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Shoshone.
The tank was deemed significant as an example of water tank construction, as an example of lava rock work by masons Bill Darrah and Pete Duffy and sons, and for its association with Portuguese settlement in South Central Idaho. It was built by Darrah in the late 1910s and was built higher by the Duffys in the late 1920s. (read more...)
Duffy, Pete and Sons
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/83002390