Clarkson Chapel (NRIS 83003920)
New York. County/parish: Columbia.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
October 07, 1983.
Part of Clermont MRA
- Clarkson Chapel
- Clarkson Chapel is located on New York State Route 9G (NY 9G) in Clermont, New York, United States, just across from the Coons House. It is a mid-19th century wooden building in the Carpenter Gothic style.
Levinus Clarkson, a local landowner who had married into the Livingston family, constructed it in 1860 for a group of dissident Episcopalians that included himself. At the time it was on the grounds of his estate, Knollwood.
In 1983, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Nine years later, when the Hudson River Historic District was created and designated a National Historic Landmark, it also became a contributing property to that district.
It has since passed from the Livingston descendants to Columbia County. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/83003920