Address: 1101 S. Lafayette St., Fort Wayne, Indiana. County/parish: Allen.
3 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places September 13, 1993.
St. Mary's Catholic Church is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church located at Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the Diocese of Fort Wayne–South Bend.
The current parish church, dedicated in 1999, is the fourth building to serve in that role. The congregation was founded in 1848 to serve German immigrants, previously served by St. Augustine's Church (the present-day Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception). A larger church was built in 1858 but was destroyed by fire. This was replaced by a landmark brick and sandstone church in 1886, but this was destroyed after being struck by lightning in 1993.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/84000483