6 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places October 06, 2011.
The North Lawrence–Monroe Street Historic District was a 2.8-acre (1.1 ha) historic district in Montgomery, Alabama. It comprised 132-148, 216, and 220 Monroe Street and 14, 22, 28-40, and 56 North Lawrence Street, containing a total of six contributing buildings. These buildings were significant in that they housed African American businesses during the era of segregation, making this a commercial center for African Americans in Montgomery. The businesses played a supporting role during the Montgomery Bus Boycott in 1955–56 by providing dispatch and pick-up services. The district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1984. The entire block was subsequently demolished in the mid-1990s to allow construction of a parking deck for the RSA Tower.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/84000712