Avery Depot (NRIS 84001142)
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific RR track,
ID. County/parish: Shoshone.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 20, 1984.
Part of North Idaho 1910 Fire Sites TR
Also known as:
- Avery Depot
- The Avery Depot in Avery, Idaho was built by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (also known as The Milwaukee Road) in 1909 as part of its Pacific Extension into the Pacific Northwest from Chicago, Illinois. Avery was the west end of overhead catenary, which allowed electric locomotives to operate instead of steam engines.The depot is a rectangular single story wood-frame building built in the Craftsman style. At one end is the passenger waiting area with a freight room at the other end. The station agent's office and lunch room ("beanery") are located between the two.
When the railroad went bankrupt in the 1980s, the depot was sold to the town of Avery for use as a community center.
The depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places due to its association with the Great Fire of 1910 as an evacuation site. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/84001142