Address: Anderson St., Hackensack, New Jersey. County/parish: Bergen.
1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places May 18, 2011.
Anderson Street is a New Jersey Transit rail station on the Pascack Valley Line. The station is one of two rail stations in Hackensack (the other being Essex Street) and located at Anderson Street near Linden Street. All normal scheduled trains service this station seven days a week except for the Metro-North Railroad Express trains to Spring Valley, New York.
The station house was built in 1869 (and opened on September 9, 1869) by the Hackensack and New York Railroad on a track extension from Passaic Street in Hackensack. The station was turned over to the Erie Railroad in 1896 and New Jersey Transit in 1983. The next year, the station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The station building, which was 139 years old, was destroyed in a three-alarm fire and explosion at 5:55 a.m. on January 10, 2009. At the time the station house was the second-oldest (active service) in New Jersey (second to Ramsey's Main Street station). The station building was also the site for the Green Caboose Thrift Shop, a charity gift shop maintained by a branch of the Hackensack University Medical Center from 1962 until the station depot burned in 2009.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/84002520