Address: Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio. County/parish: Cuyahoga.
7 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places April 04, 2005.
Rocket Engine Test Facility was the name of a facility at the NASA Glenn Research Center, formerly known as the Lewis Research Center, in Ohio. The purpose of the Rocket Engine Test Facility was to test full-scale liquid hydrogen rockets at thrust chamber pressures of up to 2100 psia and thrust levels to at least 20,000 pounds. Work on the design of the facility began in 1954 under the auspices of NACA's Rocket Branch of the Fuels and Combustion Research Division. It was built at a cost of $2.5 million and completed in 1957. The facility was located at the south end of the Center, adjacent to Abrams Creek 41.404°N 81.868°W / 41.404; -81.868. It was demolished in 2003 in order to make way for the runway expansion of the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/85002800