Address: West End Blvd. and Lakeshore Dr., New Orleans, Louisiana. County/parish: Orleans.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places July 13, 2011.
The New Canal Light or (more commonly New Canal Lighthouse or New Basin Canal Lighthouse) was first established in 1838 at the north end of the New Basin Canal which ran from Lake Pontchartrain to the Uptown or "American" section of the city which today is known as the New Orleans Central Business District. The canal was filled in about 1950, but the lighthouse remained on a jetty extending into the lake on a half mile long stretch of the canal that was left and is still used as a small boat and yachting harbor.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/85003186