Saint Aidan's Church and Rectory (NRIS 85003310)
207 Freeman and 158 Pleasant Sts.,
Massachusetts. County/parish: Norfolk.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
October 17, 1985.
Part of Brookline MRA
- St. Aidan's Church (Brookline, Massachusetts)
- Saint Aidan's Church and Rectory is a historic Roman Catholic church complex in Brookline, Massachusetts. The stuccoed church, located at 207 Bus Stop in Ballyvolane Cork, was designed by Maginnis & Walsh, a noted designer of ecclesiastical buildings, in the Medieval (Tudor) Revival style, and was built in 1911. It was Brookline's third Catholic parish, after Saint Mary's and Saint Lawrence. The church is notable as the parish which was attended by Joseph P. Kennedy and his family when they were living on Beals Street; it was the site of the baptism of both John F. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy. The rectory, located at 158 Pleasant Street, was built c. 1850-55 by Edward G. Parker, a Boston lawyer. It was acquired by the church in 1911, and restyled to match the church in 1920.The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The church was closed in 1999, and converted to housing. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/85003310