West Durham Historic District (NRIS 86000680)
Roughly bounded by Knox, Ninth, W. Main Sts., and Rutherford St. and Carolina Ave.,
North Carolina. County/parish: Durham.
101 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 26, 1986.
Part of Durham MRA
Also known as:
- See Also:Erwin Cotton Mills Co. Mill No. 1 and Headquarters
- West Durham Historic District
- West Durham Historic District is a national historic district located at Durham, Durham County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 101 contributing buildings in a mixed industrial, commercial, and residential section of Durham. The buildings primarily date after 1892 and include notable examples of Classical Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne architecture. Located in the district is the separately listed Erwin Cotton Mills Company Mill No. 1 Headquarters Building. Other notable buildings include Erwin Cotton Mills Co. Mill No. 4 (1909–10), Erwin Cotton Mills Co. worker's housing (1910s), Fidelity Bank (1920s), E. K. Powe School (1928), Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church (1922), and St. Joseph's Episcopal Church.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. (read more...)
- Classical Revival
- Queen Anne
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/86000680