Gray Gardens East and West Historic District

Address: 1--37 Gray Gardens E, 3--24 Gray Gardens W, 91 Garden and 60 Raymond Sts., Cambridge, Massachusetts. County/parish: Middlesex.

NRIS 86001283

26 contributing buildings.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places May 19, 1986.

Part of Cambridge MRA (NRIS 64000275).

From Wikipedia:

Gray Gardens East and West Historic District

The Gray Gardens East and West Historic District is a historic district encompassing an early 20th century residential subdivision in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The subdivision includes all of the properties on Gray Gardens (East and West), as well as the adjacent 91 Garden Street and 60 Raymond Street. The subdivision was created by a group of interested individuals who sought to control development of one of the last estates in the area to be developed. They subdivided the land themselves, and imposed architectural restrictions on what could be built. Most of the houses were built between 1922 and 1930 and are neo-Georgian in style; the principal exception is the Hall Tavern, a Federal style tavern built in the 1790s and moved to the area from Duxbury, Massachusetts. The other unusual house is at 16 Gray Gardens East; it is a Tudor Revival house.

The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

(read more...)

Architects:

  • et al.
  • Putnam and Cox

Architectural styles:

  • Colonial Revival
  • Other
  • Tudor Revival

National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/86001283

LC