Address: 206 Lake Ave., Aspen, Colorado. County/parish: Pitkin.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places March 06, 1987.
Part of Aspen MRA (NRIS 64000071).
Also known as:
The Newberry House, also known as the Judge Shaw House, is located on Lake Avenue in Aspen, Colorado, United States. It is a wooden structure in the Shingle Style built around 1890. In 1987 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places along with other properties in the city.
It incorporates an unusual carriage house into its overall design, the only house in Aspen to do so. In 1922 William Shaw, an attorney who had specialized in water law, moved in, following his ascension to the city's judgeship the previous year. He remained in the house until 1969, during which time Aspen went from a depressed former mining town to a bustling, glamorous ski resort, a process he played a small role in.
After his tenure, the house passed to other owners, eventually becoming one of several Aspen properties owned by Jack Nicholson, one of the celebrities who had early on been drawn to Aspen as a retreat, until he sold it in 2013. It has remained intact with few alterations.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/87000158