Greensboro Commercial Historic District

Address: Broad and Main Sts., Greensboro, Georgia. County/parish: Greene.

NRIS 87001438

29 contributing buildings.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places November 06, 1987.

Part of Greensboro MRA (NRIS 64000132).

From Wikipedia:

Greensboro Commercial Historic District

The Greensboro Commercial Historic District, in Greensboro, Georgia, is a 9 acres (3.6 ha) historic district which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. It included 29 contributing buildings and a contributing structure.

Most of its buildings are along Main St. and Broad St. Two of the largest buildings occupy whole blocks, at the corner of Main and Broad: the McCommons Store, known historically as the "Big Store", a two-story brick building, and Copelan's Block, which includes one-story attached brick storefronts.

It includes the 1937 U.S. Post Office building, two historic jails, and the historic Greene County Courthouse.

(read more...)

Architects:

  • Multiple

Architectural styles:

  • Greek Revival
  • Late Victorian

National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/87001438

LC