Address: 2910 S.W. Canterbury Ln., Portland, Oregon. County/parish: Multnomah.
1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places October 13, 2010.
Canterbury Castle, also known as Arlington Castle, was a private house located in southwest Portland, Oregon and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed during 1929–1931, the house was designed by Jeter O. Frye to resemble England's Canterbury Castle on the exterior and to evoke the Art Deco styling of Hollywood of the 1920s on the interior. The house included castle features such as a moat, drawbridge and turret and attracted paying tourists immediately following its completion.
Canterbury Castle, Portland's only castle structure built in the 1930s, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The property was also designated as a Portland Historic Landmark. The house underwent major renovation efforts in the 2000s, but those efforts were not completed, and the house was demolished in 2009 after failing to meet municipal safety codes. The razing of Canterbury made Piggott's Castle the city's only remaining castle. Canterbury Castle was removed from the National Register of Historic Places in October 2010.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/87001509