Address: 404 W. Main, Bozeman, Montana. County/parish: Gallatin.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places January 22, 1988.
Part of Bozeman MRA (NRIS 64000424).
The Gallatin County High School was a public high school in Bozeman, Montana. It was built Romanesque/Classical Revival style in 1902, expanded in c. 1914, and gained an Art Deco addition in 1936-37. The c.1914 and 1936-37 work was designed by architect Fred F. Willson; it was renamed Willson School following its conversion to a middle school.
It includes Classical Revival, Art Deco, and Romanesque architecture. At 404 West Main Street, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 31 years ago in 1988.
A 1987 review of the building notes that it "is dominated by a large, rounded, projecting pavilion, which is actually a feature related to the Streamline Moderne style, rather than Art Deco which is the overall style of the building."
GCHS was succeeded by the new Bozeman High School in 1956, located a mile west at 205 North 11th Avenue.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/87002309