Dungeness School (NRIS 88000627)
657 Towne Rd.,
Washington. County/parish: Clallam.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
May 19, 1988.
Part of Rural Public Schools of Washington State MPS
- Dungeness School
- The Dungeness School is a historical schoolhouse building located at 657 Towne Road in Dungeness, Washington. The idea for the school was formed in 1892 by the settlers of the Dungeness area. On May 10, 1892 a meeting was held in which settlers created a bond for land and a two-story school house. The school house opened on February 27, 1893. The school originally had 73 students from the ages of 5 to 20. The school had one teacher who lived on the second floor of the school. Classes were large and books and supplies not easy to get. School Board minutes of April 8, 1895, show a motion was passed to buy the school a bottle of ink.In 1955, the Dungeness and Sequim School Districts were consolidated, and the old Dungeness School was closed. In 1967 the Dungeness Community Club purchased the land and the building from the Sequim School District. The Dungeness School was designated a Washington State Historical Site in 1973. On May 19, 1988, the building was listed on the National Register of Historical Places. In 1995, faced with rising maintenance costs, the schoolhouse was donated to the local museum and is now operated as a division of the Museum and Arts Center. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/88000627