Added to the National Register of Historic Places August 08, 1989.
Also known as:
The Mayfield Fortification is a historic American Civil War earthworks at 8401 Quarry Road in Manassas, Virginia. It is one of a series of fortifications constructed by the Confederate Army to defend the critical Manassas railroad junction in 1861. The fort consisted of earthworks with log revetments, and was built by local Confederate troops and slave labor. After 1862 the fort was sporadically occupied by Union forces.
The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. It is now a city park.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/89001063