Winthrop, Deane, House (NRIS 90000162)
34 Shirley St. (formerly 40 Shirley St.),
Massachusetts. County/parish: Suffolk.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
- Deane Winthrop House
- The Deane Winthrop House is an historic house at 34 Shirley Street in Winthrop, Massachusetts. Deane Winthrop (1623–1704) was the sixth son of the second colonial Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, John Winthrop.
The oldest part of the house was built about 1675 with an addition made in 1696. It is currently owned by the Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association and is open to visitors by appointment. This building is one of the oldest wood frame houses in the country and is the oldest continuously lived in home in the United States. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. In 2009, an addition was made to the barn to store Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association artifacts and documents. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90000162