Meeting House of the Second Parish in Woburn (NRIS 90000167)
12 Lexington St.,
Massachusetts. County/parish: Middlesex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
Also known as:
- United Church of Christ Congregational
- Meeting House of the Second Parish in Woburn
- The United Church of Christ, Congregational is a historic Congregational church at 6 Lexington Street in Burlington, Massachusetts. Built in 1732, it is one of the oldest religious structures in Massachusetts, and one of a small number of pre-19th century church buildings. It was redesigned in 1846 to bring it into the then-popular Greek Revival style, extending it in length and adding a somewhat Gothic-looking steeple. In 1888, when the Colonial Revival was becoming popular, a number of these changes were in effect reversed, restoring a more Colonial-style steeple.When built, the area that is now Burlington was still part of Woburn, and this church was the second, built to serve what is now Burlington. It was the site in 1775 of some critical meetings, both military and political, of Patriots in the American Revolutionary War. The church served as a parish of Massachusetts' state funded church until the churches were disaffiliated from the state government in the early nineteenth century.
The meeting house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The congregation is currently affiliated with the United Church of Christ. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90000167