Putnam, Deacon Edward, Jr., House (NRIS 90000243)
4 Gregory St.,
MA. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
- Deacon Edward Putnam, Jr. House
- The Deacon Edward Putnam Jr. House is a historic First Period house at 9 Gregory Street in Middleton, Massachusetts. The oldest portion of the house, its right (east) side and the central chimney, were built c. 1705, probably by Deacon Edward Putnam, Sr. By 1718 Edward, Jr. occupied the house with his family, by which time it had been expanded with rooms to the west. The house facade had, until renovations in the 1960s, an unusual three bay configuration, with two windows on the west side of the chimney and one to its right. The renovations in the 1960s added a leanto section to the rear of the house, beyond which a single story ell connects the house to a series of barns. (read more...)