Old Garrison House (NRIS 90000254)
188 Granite St.,
Massachusetts. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 04, 1991.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
- Old Garrison House
- The Old Garrison House is a historic First Period house at 188 Granite Street in Rockport, Massachusetts. It is one of the only surviving examples of colonial-era squared log construction. The main block of the house is estimated to have been built c. 1700 based on an analysis of the construction methods used to build it. An ell was added onto the rear of the house in the late 18th century, and a shed-like wing was added to the west rear in the 19th century. Later in the 19th century a single story kitchen wing was added onto the ell.Local histories suggest that the house may have been built as early as 1675, and that it may have been home for a time to Elizabeth Proctor, one of the accused in the Salem witch trials. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90000254