Humphreys, Sir John, House (NRIS 90000258)
99 Paradise Rd.,
Massachusetts. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
Also known as:
- John Humphreys House
- The John Humphreys House, also known as Sir John Humphreys House, is a historic house museum located at 99 Paradise Road in Swampscott, Massachusetts. Although it was long thought to be associated with John Humphrey, an early deputy governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, it was more likely built about 1700, based on architectural analysis. In 1641 Deborah Moody bought the Humphrey house (which he called Swampscott) and 900 acres when the Humphreys returned to England giving her over 1300 acres of what would become Swampscott, Massachusetts. The house was originally located on what is now Elmwood Road (a plaque marks the site), but moved to its current location in 1891 as the Olmsted district was developed. It is currently owned by the Swampscott Historical Society. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90000258