Address: Over Oakachoy Cr. W of SR 259, Nixburg, Alabama. County/parish: Coosa.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places September 23, 2001.
The Oakachoy Covered Bridge (sometimes spelled 'Okachoy'), also known as the Thomas Covered Bridge, was a county-owned wooden covered bridge which spanned Oakachoy Creek in Coosa County, Alabama, United States. It was located in a remote area on the dirt portion of Newman Road off State Route 259 northeast of the community of Nixburg, about 6 miles (10 kilometers) southwest of Alexander City. Coordinates are 32°50′56.58″N 86°02′48.31″W (32.84905, -86.046753).
Built in 1916, the 56-foot (17-meter) bridge was a modified Queen-post truss construction over a single span. Its WGCB number is 01-19-01. The Oakachoy Covered Bridge was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on October 28, 1977.
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 14, 1990. It was one of the shortest covered bridges built in Alabama. The Oakachoy Covered Bridge was burned down by vandals on June 2, 2001, ending the existence of the only remaining historic covered bridge in Coosa County. It had been maintained by the Coosa County Commission. The bridge was removed from the National Register on September 23, 2001.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90000928