Washington Commercial Historic District (NRIS 90001780)
Roughly bounded by Fourth, Hefron and Meridian Sts. and the Chessie System RR,
Indiana. County/parish: Daviess.
88 contributing buildings.
1 contributing object.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
November 28, 1990.
Also known as:
- Washington Commercial Historic District (Washington, Indiana)
- Washington Commercial Historic District is a national historic district located at Washington, Daviess County, Indiana. The district encompasses 88 contributing buildings and 1 contributing object in the central business district of Washington. The district developed between about 1815 and 1940, and includes notable examples of Italianate, Federal, and Classical Revival style architecture. Located in the district is the separately listed Daviess County Courthouse. Other notable buildings include the City Hall (1916), Temple Court (1894), Peoples National Bank (1928), Masonic Building (1868, 1888), Indiana Theater (c. 1925), American Steam Laundry Building (c. 1930), Baltimore and Ohio Passenger Depot (1906), Westminster Presbyterian Church (1911), and U.S. Post Office (1916).It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. (read more...)
- Classical Revival
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001780