Highland Lawn Cemetery (NRIS 90001790)
4520 Wabash Ave.,
Indiana. County/parish: Vigo.
4 contributing buildings.
1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
November 29, 1990.
Also known as:
- 167-579-30024 (chapel)
- 167-597-30025 (gate)
- Highland Lawn Cemetery
- Highland Lawn Cemetery is a city-owned cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana. Opened in 1884, the cemetery includes 139 acres (0.56 km2).
The cemetery features a Richardsonian Romanesque chapel built by architect Jesse A. Vrydaugh in 1893 for a cost of $10,000. In the 1980s, the chapel underwent renovation which was completed in March 1988. Highland Lawn also includes a bell tower built by the Heidenreich Company in 1894, a gateway arch completed by Edward Hazledine and a Colonial rest house designed by W.H. Floyd.Famous interments include political figure Eugene V. Debs, author Max Ehrmann, and actress Valeska Suratt.
Highland Lawn was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 for its significance in agriculture and landscaping. (read more...)
- Classical Revival
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001790