Smith, Everel S., House (NRIS 90001794)
56 W. Jefferson St.,
Indiana. County/parish: La Porte.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 12, 1990.
Also known as:
- Everel S. Smith House
- The Everel S. Smith House is located on the northeast corner of West Jefferson Street and Clyborn Avenue in a residential area and is set well back from the streets it fronts. The yard is landscaped with four large maples and one medium size tulip tree equally spaced along the road.
There is an enclosed garden with patio (6 1 high, woven cypress fence, 32' X 32') on the west side beginning at the back of the bay and extending north and west. The house faces south and is of two story, red brick construction with ivory painted wood trim. Its design is Italianate with a single story wing on the north (rear) side. There is a hip roof on the main section capped by a widow's walk with a wrought iron fence around its perimeter. A gable is centered on a short extension of the center, front wall which has a limestone block with beveled corners set in its center above the second story windows that is inscribed with the date 1879. There is a black, cast, spread eagle below the inscribed stone. (read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001794