Elmhurst (Boundary Increase) (NRIS 90001846)
US 60 at the Greenbrier R.,
West Virginia. County/parish: Greenbrier.
4 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 20, 1990.
Also known as:
- Elmhurst (Caldwell, West Virginia)
- Elmhurst, also known as The Caldwell Place, is a historic inn and tavern located at Caldwell, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. It was built in 1824 on the banks of the Greenbrier River near where a toll bridge for the James River and Kanawha Turnpike replaced a ferry crossing in 1821. It is a two-story red brick building, consisting of a 50 feet wide by 50 feet deep main section and 50 feet by 25 feet ell. It features a two-story open portico supported by four square columns and capped by an ornamental stepped gable. The listing also includes three contributing frame dependencies, a gravel approach driveway, an early 20th-century stone wall, and a portion of the original road bed of the James River and Kanawha Turnpike.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and a boundary increase was added in 1990. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001846