Bowers and McDonald Office Building (NRIS 90001849)
816 Commercial St.,
Iowa. County/parish: Poweshiek.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 20, 1990.
Part of Grinnell MPS
- Bowers and McDonald Office Building
- The Bowers and McDonald Office Building is a historic structure located in Grinnell, Iowa, United States. J.B. Bowers and M.W. McDonald had the building built as a speculative real-estate venture. Its construction is attributed to R.G. Coutts, a native of Scotland who settled in Grinnell in 1873, who was a stone cutter, mason, building contractor, and real-estate developer. Located in the city's central business district, it was one of the buildings constructed after a fire leveled a portion of the district in 1889. The two-story, brick structure has a main facade of stone veneer, and features Richardsonian Romanesque styling. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001849