Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Passenger Station--Vinton (NRIS 90001852)
612 Second Ave.,
Iowa. County/parish: Benton.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 06, 1990.
Part of Advent & Development of Railroads in Iowa MPS
Also known as:
- Rock Island Depot
- Vinton Depot
- Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Passenger Station-Vinton
- The Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Passenger Station-Vinton, also known as Rock Island Depot and the Vinton Depot, is a historic building located in Vinton, Iowa, United States. Completed in 1900, this depot replaced a previous depot of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railway (BCR&N) located on the east side of town. It was designed by the railroad's architect and chief engineer, H.F. White, and built by A.H. Connor & Company of Cedar Rapids. The single-story brick structure was constructed on a limestone foundation. Three years after it was built, the BCR&N was acquired by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. It continued to serve as a working depot until 1967. The Benton County Historical Society restored the depot and converted into a railroad museum. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. (read more...)
Connor, A. H.
White, H. F.
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001852