Johnson, Capt. Nicholas W. and Emma, House (NRIS 90001854)
Jct. of 21st St. and University Ave.,
Iowa. County/parish: Polk.
2 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 06, 1990.
- Capt. Nicholas W. and Emma Johnson House
- The Capt. Nicholas W. and Emma Johnson House is a historic building located in Des Moines, Iowa, United States. The house is significant for its being an unusual example in Des Moines of Châteauesque design elements added to a late Queen Anne style house. The design was attributed to Des Moines architect Oliver O. Smith, and it was built by local contractor Charles Weitz. This 2½-story brick structure features large massing, a prominent front-facing gable, two full-height polygonal side bays, steeply pitched hipped roof, smooth and rough wall surfaces, contrasting courses, and the fleur-de-lis motif executed in stone, ceramic tile, and glass.
The house was built for Nicholas and Emma Johnson. He was a sea captain who later farmed in Madison County before he and his second wife Emma settled here in her hometown. While it was built as a single-family house, it was converted into a funeral home in 1933 and it remained as such at least into the 1990s. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. (read more...)
- Queen Anne
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90001854