Piedmont Camp Meeting Grounds Historic District (NRIS 90002003)
Jct. of VA 637 and VA 602,
VA. County/parish: Montgomery.
22 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 10, 1991.
Part of Montgomery County MPS
Also known as:
- Piedmont Camp Meeting Grounds Historic District
- Piedmont Camp Meeting Grounds Historic District is a national historic district located at Piedmont, Montgomery County, Virginia. The district encompasses 22 contributing buildings associated with a seasonal religious campground. The district includes a large, rustic tabernacle (1939), a group of
small frame cabins, a dining hall in a former church building (c. 1910), the concrete block Piedmont Pentecostal Holiness Church (1936, 1957), and the nave-plan Piedmont Methodist Church (c. 1873), the district's oldest building. The tabernacle is the principal structure in the campground, and is an aisled gable roofed frame structure open on three sides and supported by untrimmed logs. The Piedmont Methodist Church is the church from which the Piedmont Pentecostal Holiness group broke away.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90002003