White Oak Church (NRIS 90002112)
8 Caisson Rd.,
VA. County/parish: Stafford.
4 contributing buildings.
2 contributing sites.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 03, 1991.
Also known as:
- White Oak Baptist Church
- White Oak Primitive Baptist Church;
- White Oak Church
- White Oak Church, also known as White Oak Baptist Church and White Oak Primitive Baptist Church, is a historic Primitive Baptist church located at Falmouth in Stafford County, Virginia. It was built sometime between 1789 and 1835, and is a rectangular frame structure sheathed in weatherboard. Also on the property are a contributing woodshed, men's and women's outhouses, and two cemeteries.During the Civil War in November 1862, White Oak Church became the center, for seven months, of an encampent of the Army of the Potomac. Around 20,000 soldiers of the VI Corps camped in the immediate area. At this time the church served as a military hospital, a United States Christian Commission station, and as a photographic studio.After the Civil War, some descendants of soldiers in the New Jersey 15th Infantry made reunion trips to the Fredericksburg batlefields and White Oak Church. The reunion group included, J. Frank Lindsley; Henry B. Hoffman; his brother, Dr. Joseph R. Hoffman; Judge John B. Vreeland, a state senator from New Jersey; and Thomas B. Ironside. They aided in the repair of the church.It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90002112