Herndon Historic District (NRIS 90002121)
Roughly bounded by Locust, Spring, Pearl, Monroe, Station and Vine Sts.,
Virginia. County/parish: Fairfax.
173 contributing buildings.
1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 11, 1991.
Also known as:
- DHR File No. 235-3
- See Also: Herndon Depot
- Herndon Historic District
- Herndon Historic District is a national historic district located at Herndon, Fairfax County, Virginia. It encompasses 173 contributing buildings, 1 contributing site, and 1 contributing structure in the central business district and surrounding residential areas of Herndon. They include 104 houses, 20 commercial buildings, 6 institutional buildings, 4 industrial buildings, 30 garages, 8 barns, the pumphouse, the gas generating building, the water tower and the town square. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1890 and 1920. Notable buildings include the Town Hall (1939), Nachmans Department Store, National Bank of Herndon (1910), 5 and Dime Cafe (1920s), Sanitary Grocery Store, Loudoun Hall or
the Paine House, Benjamin Detweiler House (1890), and the Bicksler House. Located in the district is the separately listed Herndon Depot.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. (read more...)
- Late 19Th And 20Th Century Revivals
- Late 19Th And Early 20Th Century American Movements
- Late Victorian
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/90002121