Address: 522 Arkansas St., Helena, Arkansas. County/parish: Phillips.
2 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places January 26, 2018.
The New Light Missionary Baptist Church was a historic church at 522 Arkansas Street in Helena, Arkansas. It was a two-story wood-frame brick and masonry structure, built in 1917 for an African-American congregation organized in 1894. Its Gothic Revival design bore some resemblance to Helena's Centennial Baptist Church (a National Historic Landmark), but this building's architect is not known. Its main facade had a single tall gable, with a three-story tower at the southwest corner. A pair of entrances on the first level were topped by three lancet-style windows in the gable, the center one larger than those flanking it. The interior was simply decorated.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. It was subsequently demolished, and was delisted in 2018.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/95001410